Booksneeze

I review for BookSneeze®

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Some Days There's Pie by Catherine Landis




Ruth thinks she has found her ticket out of Tennessee by eloping with a stereo salesman, but soon he “gets religion,” and Ruth leaves. When she faints in a North Carolina five-and-dime, Rose, a fiesty elderly reporter, rescues her, beginning a friendship stronger than family ties. With spirited humor and empathy, Landis intertwines the stories of Rose, who is in denial of her terminal illness, and Ruth, who posesses the energy of Rose in her younger days.
The title captured my attention.  The synopsis mildly intrigued me.  The book disappointed me. 

I found the book to be a slow read, which is usually not a good sign. While I enjoyed some of the characters they never seemed to gel, to connect, in order to make the story come alive. Perhaps if the author had more deeply explored some of the main characters, I might have found one with which to connect. I actually found myself having to backtrack to remember a character that was introduced early on and then dropped only to reappear again. 

Should you buy the book?  Only if discounted or bought at a garage sale.  Will I read her second novel?  The jury is still out on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment